Wednesday, January 2, 2013
No one is injured in the blaze.
Wexford Volunteer Fire Company helped fight a blaze on New Year's Day at an Adams Township home, from which a couple and their pets escaped unharmed. Adams Area Fire Chief Bill Hayes said crews were called to the home on Lakeland Drive at about noon Tuesday. When firefighters arrived, heavy fire was in the area of the home’s attached garage, he said. “When we got here, it was going pretty good and it extended into the bedroom above it,” Hayes said. Volunteers from the Wexford, Cranberry, Zelienople, Harmony and Callery fire departments assisted. The chief did not have a damage estimate for the home, which is uninhabitable. The homeowners are staying at a home in the area, Hayes said. The Red Cross also has been notified of the situation. “…
Sunday, December 9, 2012
The videographer said he/she saw the fire on the way to work.
This video is a close look at the intensity of a car fire. The videographer—Grystarvids—noted "a car fire passed on my way to work." It was uploaded on Feb. 1, 2012.
Wednesday, September 19, 2012
Moon crews respond to a house fire.
One woman was taken to UPMC Mercy Hospital with a burn injury following a house fire today on Pillar Drive. Moon Police Officer James Kazmierczak said the woman suffered a burned hand in the blaze, which ignited in an upstairs bedroom. Kazmierczak said the home at 161 Pillar, one in a block of townhomes on the street, was heavily damaged. Firefighters said that flames raged up through the building's roof. Moon Fire Chief John Scott said the injured woman attempted to put out a fire burning in a bedroom mattress. Five people were in the home at the time of the incident. Each escaped before emergency personnel arrived. Crews responded to the fire at 11:24 a.m., the officer said. Each of the adjoining townhomes were evacuated, though the …
Monday, August 20, 2012
The owner of a motor home received a minor burn on his arm.
Fire destroyed a pair of recreational vehicles parked at the Rent-a-Space self-storage facility off Route 228 and Dutilh Road in Cranberry Sunday afternoon. Fire chief Brian Kovac said the owner of one of the RVs was working on the engine at about 1 p.m. when it caught fire. The man, whose name Kovac did not know, tried to put out the flames with a fire extinguisher, but the extinguisher did not work, Kovac said. When the man returned with another extinguisher, flames already had engulfed the vehicle, Kovac said. The fire also destroyed a second motor home parked next to the first recreational vehicle. The fire did not affect the self-storage unit buildings. Kovac said the RV owner received a minor burn on his arm. He was treated by EMS …
Tuesday, July 3, 2012
No recreational fires or open burning allowed through July 9 due to drought conditions.
Due to dry conditions, Richland Township Fire Official Guy Pedicone has suspended all permits which have been issued for recreational fires and opening burning within the township for the next seven days, through Monday, July 9, 2012. Pine Township has not suspended fire and burning permits at this time, according to Pine Township Fire Marshal Tim Flaherty. Pedicone encourages residents to attend public firework displays instead of purchasing fireworks. Residents who purchase legal fireworks from local vendors should exercise extreme caution when using them. Pedicone pointed out that in these conditions even a sparkler or a discarded match can cause a fire. He also stressed that people who purchase illegal fireworks, and import them …
Friday, June 29, 2012
Close to 50 cars were stored in the building, according to fire officials.
Fire damaged a warehouse storing close to 50 antique cars along Grand Avenue in Mars Friday afternoon. Capt. Talo Capuzzi of the Adams Area Fire District said an outdoor fire a neighbor of the building had going caught a truck parked alongside the car warehouse on fire. The flames from the truck spread to the building. The warehouse was unoccupied when the flames broke out. Firefighters had the flames knocked out in about 15 minutes, Capuzzi said. “The guys on the engine did a really good job,” he said. The building received minor damage, Capuzzi said. Building owner Bill Sweeny said a 2004 Cadillac Escalade also was damaged. He said the other cars—which are mostly classic cars from the 1950s—inside the building also will need to be aired …
Friday, June 8, 2012
Richland Township Volunteer Fire Department used four-wheel-drive vehicles to get through the hilly terrain.
Firefighters doused a fire in a clubhouse/ treehouse in a remote wooded area of Richland Township Friday afternoon. Chief Jim Kelly of the Richland Township Volunteer Fire Department, said someone called in the fire when they saw smoke in the hilly wooded area off Victoria Lane. Although firefighters originally thought they were responding to a brush fire, they instead found what appeared to be a treehouse or clubhouse, about 15 feet by 15 feet, in flames, Kelly said. The fire marshal will investigate to find the cause, Kelly said. Firefighters used four-wheel-drive vehicles to get to the fire, which was “down in the middle of the woods,” according to Kelly. Walking trails were visible in the area, he added. Brush trucks carried water to…
Friday, May 18, 2012
A minor fire broke out in the aquarium Thursday night.
The PPG Aquarium at the Pittsburgh Zoo is closed today, Friday. According to the zoo's Facebook page, a minor fire broke out in the aquarium Friday night. "No animals or staff were hurt or in danger at any time," the Facebook status states. "Zoo personnel will be repairing a small tank and motor and we hope to reopen as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience." According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, an electrical fire began at about 9 p.m. above a tank that was being renovated. The rest of the zoo is open. Be sure to keep up with the latest Pine-Richland news by subscribing to our daily email newsletter, liking us on Facebook, and following us on Twitter.
Sunday, April 22, 2012
Family safely escapes fire on Wood Hollow Drive.
Fire severely damaged a home on Wood Hollow Drive in Cranberry around midnight Sunday. Cranberry Fire Chief Brian Kovac said the fire started in the chimney of the split-entry home and spread through the attic. When firefighters arrived, heavy smoke was pouring from the roof, he said. Firefighters had the flames knocked out in about 15 minutes, the chief said. Neighbor John Cox, who lives two houses from the damaged home on the 800 block of Wood Hollow Drive, said Matt and Julie Jones share the house with their two children. All escaped safely. “There were flames shooting from it,” Cox said of the building. Kovac said the fire did not appear suspicious. He did not have an estimate on the damage to the home, but said it was not habitable…
Tuesday, March 6, 2012
Neighbors identify the victim as Denise Francis.
One woman is dead after fire destroyed her home early Tuesday in the Fox Run neighborhood in Cranberry Township. Cranberry Township firefighters and police were called to the home in the 100 block of Fox Run Road when fire broke out at 1:50 a.m. Cranberry Fire Chief Brian Kovac said a husband and wife lived in the home. According to Butler County property records, the home is owned by George and Denise Francis. The wife, who was bedridden in the first-floor bedroom of the home due to health issues, died in the fire. Rick Kumer, who lives next door to the couple, said Denise Francis suffered from multiple sclerosis Kovac said the fast-moving flames may have been fed by oxygen in tanks used by the woman because of her medical condition. "…