Here are a few suggestions for home design resolutions for 2013:
- Repaint a room or two; painting is your biggest bang for your buck, and it can update while changing the entire vision of your room.
- A quick color consult will really save you time, and money, and get you the best “on trend” color for that dated room. Hire a professional designer to give you top-notch industry advice. You will quickly appreciate this process.
- Hire a professional painter; this one goes hand-in-hand with the above tip and will truly be worth every penny. A professional painter will take the time to prepare, repair and complete the job in record time. Many homeowners attempt to tackle this task, but in the end, hiring a pro can substantially reduce the amount of time, frustration and overall cost.
- Hang your art, properly; many homeowners hang art too high, out of balance and out of scale, and without any regard for a proper grouping. A proper art installation will pull together a room instantly. Also, if in doubt, hire a pro. You’ll save time by not having all those “extra” holes in your freshly painted walls.
- Freshen up throw pillows; this will add new and updated colors, and bring your room into year 2013 instead of 1985. I prefer down inserts for throw pillows since they yield to the body and also stay in place even on a leather sofa.
- Lastly, while dismantling your Christmas tree, do a serious inventory and purge. You should keep all of your kid’s homemade ornaments, but rid yourself of those pieces that just don’t jive with your life in 2013. It’s liberating and a huge step in organizing your home.
Happy New Year from Susan Muschweck Interior Design!