"Environmental conditions are expected to remain conducive for gradual development of this system while it drifts southward offshore of Georgia and northeastern Florida during the next few days,” the hurricane center said in an outlook posted Saturday afternoon.
The hurricane center said the group of storms have a 40 percent chance of developing into an organized system over the next 48 hours and a 60 percent chance of developing over the next five days.
“Because of the uncertain track and proximity to land, interests along the east coast of Florida, northward to the mid-Atlantic coast will need to be monitored, as this system evolves,” Dan Kottlowski, of AccuWeather, said.Water temperatures along the mid-Atlantic coast range from just about 70 degrees in New Jersey to about 81 off the coastal of South Carolina, where the storm is located.
If the storm system becomes the first named storm of the 2014 Atlantic hurricane season, it would be named Arthur. A storm gets a name when it organizes and sustains wind speeds of 39 miles per hour or above.