We all know the economy is tough nowadays, so we at Patch are suggesting ways for families to enjoy a summer vacation on the cheap.
There are plenty of places to have a great summer vacation without spending a ton of money.
You can visit Kennywood, ride the bike trails, spend a day at the trolley museum, relax at the local park, take in an auto race, ride a boat or hit some golf balls.
We're calling it the Patch Staycation!
And we want to know where your favorite local place is to spend a weekend without spending a lot of money. We’ve given a brief description of places to visit below. Vote for your favorite staycation in our poll or offer your own suggestions in the comment section.
- and offer nearly limitless biking and walking paths for people who want to get some exercise and enjoy nature.
- Take a ride on Nautical Nature, a 45-passenger enclosed pontoon boat and Moraine State Park's premier attraction. Enjoy learning about the area's natural history and osprey reintroduction while appreciating the unique scenery and wildlife on an exciting trip around Lake Arthur in Butler County.
- Kennywood Park ... Do we need to give any description?
- The Pennsylvania Trolley Museum in Washington came to fruition in the 1940s and continues to be a go-to stop for families. The museum has more than 50 historic street railway vehicles preserved and visitors can enjoy a scenic four-mile ride back in time.
- is a family-friendly staycation destination with tennis courts, playgrounds, picnic pavilions and a ballfield. For those hot summer days, Dormont Pool is the perfect place to cool off.
- Look for the "Fab Four" Racing at Lernerville Speedway in Butler County every Friday night in May. The Ti22 Performance DIRTcar Sprints, Precise Racing Products DIRTcar Late Models, Diehl Auto Group DIRTcar Northeast Modifieds and Millerstown Pic-A-Part DIRTcar Sportsman race every Friday night.
- Sandcastle Water Park in Homestead is the best place to get a tan and enjoy some cool water.
- is a beautiful retreat offering families an inexpensive vacation that won’t drain the bank account.