When Whole Foods Market in Wexford opens its doors May 2, it will take a unique twist on the traditional ribbon-cutting ceremony.
A bread-breaking ceremony will be held in advance of the 10 a.m. official opening for the store at 10576 Perry Highway that features natural and organic foods. Live music and product demonstrations throughout the store will be part of the day's festivities.
Here are some of the features at the new store.
- Brew & Brau—an organic coffee bar and pub serving 100 percent organic fresh-brewed coffee, local beers on tap, and a pub food menu.
- A Cooking Wexford department will educate shoppers about the joy of cooking. It will have an extensive array of bulk ingredients and a full-time cooking coach with in-depth culinary knowledge to assist customers.
- A prepared foods section will be filled with options that include an organic salad bar, made-to-order sandwiches, authentic Roman pizza and hot meals, and a chef case with items crafted by skilled Whole Foods Market chefs.
- Made-in-house specialties such as butter-stuffed burger patties, bath bombs and cinnamon crisps will be included, as well as exclusive products such as fresh pasta, pierogies, local toffee and fudge and Whole Trade Guarantee floral.
- A garden center called Cultivate will feature spring varietals, hanging baskets, herbs, vegetables, bedding plants, local potting soil, compost and more.
The unique design of the new store includes recycled and reclaimed materials top to bottom and also features two dedicated electric-car charging stations, free for customers.
Customer service will offer grocery-carrying assistance, free Wi-Fi in the café, and Nickels for Non-Profits—a 5-cent reward for every reusable bag used, which can be donated to a featured local charity.
In 1980, Whole Foods started out with one small store in Austin, TX. Today, it has more than 310 stores in North America and the United Kingdom.
—Submitted by Defausha Hampton on behalf of Whole Foods Market. If you have news and photos to share, please email Editor Cindy Cusic Micco at email@example.com