A 50-year-old sex offender facing a felony charge of not registering his address is in the Allegheny County Jail with bail set at $50,000.
Mahesh Ramn Patel—who listed a McCandless address—is scheduled for an Oct. 19 formal arraignment. He waived his Sept. 5 preliminary hearing before Magisterial District Judge William K. Wagner.
Patel was arrested in August after the Allegheny County Sheriff's Office conducted a residential check on the Megan's Law registrant at an apartment at 9410 Babcock Boulevard in McCandless, according to a criminal complaint.
When Detective Barbara Sparrow went to the apartment in July, the current resident said Patel did not live there, according to the complaint.
Sparrow then checked with the property owner, who said Patel was never a lease-holder there, the complaint states.
Police said Patel, did not provide his current address to the state police Megan's Law Unit within 48 hours as required.
The complaint does not state where Patel was arrested.
Patel was required to register as a sex offender after he pleaded guilty in April 2007 to indecent assault of a person less than 13 years old in Ross Township, according to court documents.
Common Pleas Judge Lester Nauhaus sentenced him to 167 days in jail and to serve one year on probation.
In July 2011 Patel pleaded no contest to a felony count of failing to comply with registration of sexual offender requirements, according to court documents.
Common Pleas Judge Kathleen Durkin sentenced him to six to 12 months in jail.
In addition, he pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge of indecent assault filed by McKeesport Police Department. Durkin sentenced him to two years probation, court documents show.
See More on Patch
- No Jail Time for Former PA Supreme Court Justice Joan Orie Melvin
- Teen Charged in Richland Road Rage Stabbing Heading to Court
- Franklin Park Couple Charged of Abusing Adopted Children Seek Custody of Biological Children
- Convicted Ross Rapist Sentenced to 61 to 122 Years
- Northern Regional Police Use Craigslist to Nab Burglary Suspect
Most Popular articles
- Parents Sue Pittsburgh Zoo over Mauling Death of Their Son
- Coach Dave Gray’s ‘Sports and Courts’ Indoor Complex Coming to Pine
- Just Listed: New Homes For Sale in Pine-Richland
- Honoring Maria: Pine-Richland Lacrosse, Community Donates More than $9,400 in Name of Student Battling Cancer
- Pine-Richland 2013 Primary Election Results