Presidents' Day in Pine-Richland: What's Open, What's Closed?
It is a federal, state and county holiday—but other many other offices and businesses are open.
Monday, Feb. 18, is Presidents' Day.
The holiday was originally titled "Washington's Birthday," a federal observation honoring the nation's first president and implemented by Congress in 1879 . By the mid-1980s, with a push from advertisers, the term "Presidents' Day" began its public appearance. Today, the holiday has become well known for being a day in which many stores, especially car dealers and furniture outlets, hold sales.
- Pine-Richland public schools
- Most banks
- Federal, state, and Allegheny County offices and courts.
- Pennsylvania driver license and photo centers are closed Saturday, Feb. 16, through Monday, Feb. 18. Customers may still obtain a variety of driver and vehicle products and services online through PennDOT's Driver and Vehicle Services website, www.dmv.state.pa.us.
- State liquor stores
- Post offices
- Pine Community Center
- Pine Township Municipal Offices
- Richland Township Municipal Offices
- Northern Tier Library
- Vogel Disposal—The regular schedule is unchanged for trash and recycling pickup in Pine and Richland townships.
- The Port Authority is running regular bus, T and incline weekday service, but the downtown service center is closed.
What does Presidents' Day mean to you? Tell us in the comments box below.
Check out some of today's other top stories here.