Five Activities to Enjoy in Pine Richland This Spring
Here is a list of fun ways to celebrate the arrival of the first day of spring.
Celebrating the arrival of spring with your family and friends can be fun and refreshing after a long winter. Now that the first day of spring has arrived and the weather is finally improving, it's time to break free from cabin fever, get some fresh air and enjoy fun outdoor activities.
Here are five fun ideas to try in Pine and Richland:
1) Take to the trails. Explore a trail near you at a local park, including the Richland Community Park, Hartwood Acres or Pine Community Park, or plan a day trip and a longer hike at North Park or Moraine State Park.
2) Zip to the zoo or your local wildlife or bird sanctuary. Beat the summer crowds and enjoy a visit to the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium or the National Aviary. You may find the animals are outside and more active as they emerge to enjoy the warmer weather too. You'll enjoy the visit even more if you bring some binoculars, which you can purchase at Dick's Sporting Goods.
3) Hit the water. You can rent a kayak or canoe with Pittsburgh's Venture Outdoors. Spring is also a great time to take a class to learn how to row, canoe or kayak.
4) Serve the Pine-Richland area together by sprucing up your favorite place to play outdoors. Check out VolunteerMatch.org for opportunities to volunteer with friends or family to clean up a nearby park or playground.
5) Start a garden. Now is the time to get your garden beds ready for planting by putting down compost. New to gardening?Take a class to help you learn to build your garden beds and offer advice on which flowers and veggies will do well in your climate. Visit a local garden center or get advice from the Organic Gardeners Jessica Walliser and Doug Oster at 5 p.m. Sunday, March 24 at the Giant Eagle Market District in Pine. Kids can help start the garden too by planting seeds indoors in empty egg cartons that can be transferred outside into your garden beds in just a few weeks.
TELL US: How will you celebrate the arrival of spring here in town? Share your ideas for getting outside and enjoying the warmer weather in the comments section below.
Check out some of today's other top stories here.